|Who?||Targets students who don’t know about Outreach Trips.||For students who are interested in Outreach Trips but want more information.|
|Where?||Busy spots on campus; near study spaces, common areas, places to eat, etc.||In a classroom or study space that you have booked ahead of time.|
|When?||Year round.||Time has to be allocated to promote for info sessions. Dec/Feb/June. At least 2-3 months before trip.|
How? An information session requires preparation at least a month in advance. The month is a minimum- the early you can pick a date the better.
It’s important to know your date in advance so that you can advertise for your information session. Ideally, you want to have 1-2 information sessions at least 3-4 months before your trip departs.
- Book a room. Preferably one with a computer and projector.
- LOTS of Marketing: at booths, at Exam Aid Sessions, with flyers, to your executive team, to individual departments, to classes, etc.
- Find past trip participants to speak about their experience.
- Prepare a PowerPoint with trip details, logistics, pricing, and photos and videos from past trips.
Sample Information Session Schedule:
- Welcome and introduce yourself – 5 minutes
- About SOS, our 360º model of volunteering, Outreach process, etc – 10 minutes
- Trip video (doesn’t have to be from your trip) – 5 minutes
- Trip details PowerPoint – 15 minutes
- Testimonials from past participants – 15 minutes
- Question and answer period – 10 minutes