One of the most important, but often neglected, processes in Human Resources is the exit interview. Exit interviews will help you gather information on the volunteer’s impression of SOS, how well your chapter has engaged and developed students, and will provide feedback on how your chapter can improve. Exit interviews should be done with any volunteers who are leaving SOS, regardless of their position or duration of volunteering; however, participation should be voluntary.
Face-to-face interviews are the best way to gather information because you have the opportunity to ask volunteers to elaborate or clarify their answers, but you can also create a questionnaire as well if the volunteer is more comfortable answering questions in writing, or if you are short on time. Here are some examples of questions you can ask in an exit interview. You can always customize or create your own questions to gather information that would be useful to your chapter. Be sure to take notes during the interview.
- Make sure to note the reason for departure
- Please summarize your experience with SOS (length of service, roles held, responsibilities, etc.)
- What skills were you hoping to develop through volunteering with SOS?
- What skills did you develop during your time with SOS?
- Do you feel the training you received helped you perform your job effectively?
- What were some of the highlights of your SOS experience?
- What were some of the low points of your SOS experience?
- What would you change about your role?
- What do you feel are some of the strengths of this SOS chapter?
- What areas do you feel this SOS chapter can improve?
- How would you describe the impact of volunteering with SOS on your university experience?
- Do you have any recommendations for the chapter?
- Would you recommend volunteering at SOS to your friends/other students?
- Would you like to stay involved/connected with our chapter?
Make sure to pull quotes you think would be great for marketing – it’s always great to get testimonials from volunteers!
If the interview is conducted with a volunteer in a leading role, this is also a good time to make sure they have completed and submitted their transition report.
Be sure to thank the volunteer for their time and for their work with SOS!
If you have any questions about exit interviews please email firstname.lastname@example.org