- What is it?: An online practice exam system that allows volunteers to create exams in the same style, format, length, and toughness of actual exams and students can take the exam, see the rationale (why is it option C not D? or an image of the full-answer solution) and get scored (for the multiple choice questions).
- What’s the value to students? Who doesn’t want to feel more confident in their understanding, learn from great explanations, and lower their anxiety heading into a big exam? Yes, in most schools you can often find a past midterm exam with the answers – but typically the answer key is just a series of MC letters. I’ve yet to see a past exam that has an explanation of WHY it’s B. What about Final exams? Given they aren’t ever released to the public, there are VERY few resources for students to help prepare them for what’s coming up.
- Which courses – Existing ones or new ones? That’s up to you! With you existing team, you’re probably able to quickly build a practice exam for the courses you currently teach, and it’s easy to market this to them as you already are for Exam-AIDs.. BUT an also great way to help in other courses that you aren’t running a full Exam-AID for, just need someone to build an exam for it!
- Help that keeps on giving! As most courses don’t change from year to year, many Practice Exams would only take 30 minutes or so to review each year to ensure consistent with the content before being able to make it live!
- Tracking, Feedback – for years! For every practice exam you create, you’ll be the author on the exam. You’ll be able to see how many students use it, (receive feedback that we’ll ask from students as they finish) and be able to track how much money YOU have generated from your practice exams. Each term, we’ll send you an e-mail with a summary of how your Practice Exam has done so you can see your impact has had a lasting impact on students for years to come.
- Who can create one? Anyone! See the steps below.
STEP 1 – EMAIL YOUR PRESIDENT: If you did well in a course and want to help out and build a Practice Exam, awesome! First step, let your President know that you are interested so those interested in the same course can work together. Each chapter may have a different person coordinating this (if interested in taking on this role – include that in your message to them if you want to manage this new initiative within your chapter!), so they will forward you to someone who is taking this on (if not themselves).
STEP 2 – MAKE YOUR EXAM: Once you are given the green light to build the exam, you are ready to run. Before creating it on the portal, I’d suggest building it in word. Easier to save and edit. Make sure you know the coverage of the exam as well as the format of the exam so your exam can be a close match. For each answer, if the answer isn’t self explanatory, the key value of this initiative, is a little blurb or reason as to WHY it’s C not D. For long-answer or image questions, you’ll be able to upload an image for the WHY part!
STEP 3 – CREATE IT ON THE PORTAL: With the test created, go to the portal’s Practice Exam Dashboard (in the drop-down on the left hand side navigation. (*note – portal section should be ready by Monday Jan 19th 2015) If your HR team hasn’t updated your portal permission, click “Missing a Role? Request access”. Once you have access, create the Practice Exam (pretty simple) and then once done, click ‘LAUNCH’ and it’ll be Live on your Registration site! WAHOO!
STEP 4 – MARKET IT (tell the Course / Marketing team): Now that it’s live, yes, you’ll get people visiting the registration site and registering for it organically – but MAKE SURE you the Practice Exam person that it’s done so that Marketing & the Course team can integrate it into their marketing, and facebook posts can be made etc.
With it being live, as the author, if there are issues or questions, you’ll get emails from students – make sure if there are errors you go into the portal and update your questions to make sure it’s always awesome. After a student has finished, they’ll be prompted with optional feedback which be email to you (and on your profile). To see how much it has raised, you can always go to the Leaderboard (or your Practice Exam dashboard).
If you have any questions about which courses, or materials etc, contact your chapter. If you have questions about the portal, IT system, any bugs you find etc, email email@example.com
Looking forward to seeing what you guys can do with this!