VP Marketing Handbook 2014-2015
Last revision: November 2014
Welcome to the role of VP Marketing! In your role, you are responsible for marketing all of SOS’s operations on your campus and overall brand presence.
To make the learning process easier, this handbook serves as a high level overview of your role as VP Marketing and the basics of Students Offering Support. There are separate resources that go into more detail on specific functions, linked below:
- Portal Walkthrough – Marketing
- Social Media Manager Handbook
- Marketing Materials Toolkit
- Human Resources Handbook
- Logistics Handbook
- Outreach Handbook
You can always e-mail me, the Director of Student Leadership, at firstname.lastname@example.org, or contact me through Skype (nicole-m-c). I can answer all of your questions and/or set up a time for us to meet and talk! Myself, and my head office team are ALWAYS here to support you! If you ever feel overwhelmed or unsure contact me right away
Be sure to join the President Facebook group SOS Presidents. In this group you have a chance to connect with other chapter presidents to ask questions or share ideas. I also post tons of updates and information.
The 3 ‘W’s of SOS
Why: SOS’s mission is to empower students through social entrepreneurship supporting education both locally and internationally while fostering global citizenship.
What: Students Offering Support (SOS) is a student-led charitable organization that supports and develops SOS chapters on university campuses. Each chapter raises money to raise roofs through raising marks during Exam-AID group review sessions, taught and coordinated by student volunteers for university students. Each year, the money raised goes towards building sustainable projects in Central and South America, supporting access to a quality education.
Who: You – the students on university campuses across North America!
Innovation is core to every part of the organization and experience. From continual innovations in our on-campus teaching methods, cutting-edge technology used to create a collaborative online community of student leaders to ground-breaking community investments, maximizing the impact our funds can have in our partnering communities.
We pride ourselves at putting our students, volunteers, and community members at the highest priority in every decision we make, ensuring that every interaction and experience is impactful, both on campus and in our partnering communities.
We are accountable for our actions and how they affect the lives of our volunteers and partners. We take pride in doing work that positively impacts the people we collaborate with.
At SOS, efficient collaboration is critical to our organization. We work hard to develop two-way relationships with post-secondary institutions, corporate sponsors, student groups, our international NGO partners and communities. By developing trusting relationships, collaboration has enabled SOS to grow and maintain our excellence and accountability.
There are a number of ways that a campus chapter can organize their leadership structure. At a minimum, all campus chapters must have a President, VP Finance, VP Human Resources, VP Marketing, VP Outreach, & VP Logistics. Below you will find a typical chapter structure that may be useful in determining your own campus structure dependent on your needs and resources.
Each role is assisted by a pool of volunteers. Additional roles some chapters have implemented include: VP Business Development, VP Academic & VP Digital Exam-AIDs. These roles should only be added if there is significant need.
As Vice President of Marketing, you are responsible for coordinating, managing, and executing all marketing activities in your chapter. This will include developing a marketing plan for outreach, recruitment & Exam-AIDs. Your role is to create awareness for SOS on campus by building a recognizable and present brand throughout the school year. To excel in this position, you must have a very spirited, welcoming and approachable attitude with students, faculty, professors, etc.
Your position’s primary responsibilities will include:
- Developing an integrative marketing campaign that uses various media (print, radio, TV, direct advertising, online) to promote a consistent & coherent message
- Use multiple methods to communicate to target audience what SOS is, our model and our Exam-AID group review sessions
- Think “outside the box” & look at non-traditional methods of raising awareness
- Communicating and working effectively in a team to brainstorm new ideas of how your chapter can successfully connect with our target audience
- Motivate team to think creatively and implement new promotional activities
- Encourage members to voice their opinions and suggestions
- Following-up and evaluating your campaign’s success by developing different measuring techniques and tools
- Conduct surveys and retrieving in-person feedback from students who attended the sessions
- Managing chapter website to ensure it is up to date and highly informative
- Attending scheduled meetings with Chapter President(s) and other Vice Presidents
- Inform Executive team if help is needed from other departments with upcoming promotional efforts (ie. running booths, distributing flyers or posters, etc.)
- Encouraging team members to attend SOS related events (i.e. socials, intramurals, fundraising campaigns, charity events, etc.)
As VP Marketing, you are your chapter’s brand guardian. That means you are responsible for ensuring that your chapter’s brand on campus is consistent with all other chapters across Canada. SOS’s Branding Guidelines cover multiple facets of how you will represent the organization on campus, please review the following e-manuals for more information:
Your Brand on Campus
The best way to get your brand message out on campus is to focus your messaging around SOS’s services: Exam-AIDs, Volunteering or Outreach Trips. The more you focus on these products, the more your chapter will be associated with helping students through exams, providing meaningful volunteer experiences and life changing international trips! Check out the emanual posts below for more on marketing these products: