VP Logistics Handbook
Welcome to your new role as Vice President of Logistics. You are responsible for the overall planning, scheduling, and quality control of the SOS Exam-AID sessions. This manual outlines your main responsibilities and indicated where you can find more information.
To make the learning process easier, this handbook serves as a high level overview of your role as Vice President and the basics of Students Offering Support. There are separate resources that go into more detail on specific functions, linked below:
- Introduction to Portal
- Portal Walkthrough – Logistics
- Portal 101: Logistics
- Logistics & Academics Toolkit
- Logistics & Academics Road to Success
- Human Resources Handbook
- Marketing Handbook
- Academics Handbook
If you get stuck or have any questions don’t hesitate to e-mail the Director of Chapter Operations at email@example.com. You should also join SOS VP Logistics Community on Facebook for important updates.
The 3 ‘W’s of SOS
Why: SOS’s mission is to empower students through social entrepreneurship supporting education both locally and internationally while fostering global citizenship.
What: Students Offering Support (SOS) is a student-led charitable organization that supports and develops SOS chapters on university campuses. Each chapter raises money to raise roofs through raising marks during Exam-AID group review sessions, taught and coordinated by student volunteers for university students. Each year, the money raised goes towards building sustainable projects in Central and South America, supporting access to a quality education.
Who: You – the students on university campuses across North America!
Innovation is core to every part of the organization and experience. From continual innovations in our on-campus teaching methods, cutting-edge technology used to create a collaborative online community of student leaders to ground-breaking community investments, maximizing the impact our funds can have in our partnering communities.
We pride ourselves at putting our students, volunteers, and community members at the highest priority in every decision we make, ensuring that every interaction and experience is impactful, both on campus and in our partnering communities.
We are accountable for our actions and how they affect the lives of our volunteers and partners. We take pride in doing work that positively impacts the people we collaborate with.
At SOS, efficient collaboration is critical to our organization. We work hard to develop two-way relationships with post-secondary institutions, corporate sponsors, student groups, our international NGO partners and communities. By developing trusting relationships, collaboration has enabled SOS to grow and maintain our excellence and accountability.
There are a number of ways that a campus chapter can organize their leadership structure. At a minimum, all campus chapters must have a President, VP Finance, VP Human Resources, VP Marketing, VP Outreach, & VP Logistics. Below you will find a typical chapter structure that may be useful in determining your own campus structure dependent on your needs and resources.
Each role is assisted by a pool of volunteers. Additional roles some chapters have implemented include: VP Business Development, VP Academic & VP Digital Exam-AIDs. These roles should only be added if there is significant need.
You report to the President. You will primarily be working with the Head Tutor, Course Coordinators, and the tutors themselves. They are your team and it is your job to manage them. You can find their duties elaborated on further here.
Below is a list of processes that your chapter must have established in order to have a functioning logistics department. You can refer to relevant e-manual posts where they are available (see links below), and if you have any questions, please email Nicole at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Exam-AID Instructor hiring process
- Mock sessions + feedback
- Knowledge management system
- Exam-AID Instructor evaluations
As Vice President of Logistics, you are responsible for the coordination and guidance of all Course Coordinators and Tutors. Although each Coordinator is responsible for the planning of their own particular course, your role is to manage your team effectively and ensure they are meeting all required guidelines, regulations, deadlines, etc. To excel in this position, you must have exceptional organizational and time-management skills, as well as the ability to pay attention to small details.
Your position’s primary responsibilities will include:
- Adding courses and Exam-AID sessions to the portal and making sure each course has a course coordinator and tutor assigned to it
- To learn how to do this check out Course Management
- Instructing Course Coordinators on the process of organizing ‘Exam-AID’ review sessions
- Demonstrate how to use the portal for completing task
- Explain how to book rooms, print codes, implement marketing efforts and the importance of maintaining constant communication with tutors and faculty members
- You can find all this in the Intro to portal and the Posting and Verifying Exam-AID Schedule section.
- Monitoring student registration and making sure you have enough tutors for the amount of students registered
- You must take corrective measures if you find you have too few or too many students
- Holding weekly meetings with all Course Coordinator
- Design specific To-Do lists on a weekly basis
- Discuss deadlines, SOS updates, events, etc.
- Ensure Course Coordinators are prepared to run their review sessions and are completing tasks by set deadlines (can do this using a team agenda/calendar)
- Attending weekly meetings with Co-Presidents and other Vice President
- Provide team updates; contribute ideas and feedback to all members.
- Encouraging your team to attend SOS related stuff
- Complete MOCK SESSIONS with the tutors
Detailed information on how to run mock sessions, how to hire tutors, how to provide feedback and manage tutors can be found here.
The logistics team is imperative to the SOS organization. As the leader for this team you are responsible for determining the Exam-AID dates/times and room locations, as well as working closely with the Marketing and Finance Departments to coordinate the appropriate advertising and to ensure that a finance team is present at each session. This position requires significant planning in advance while taking into consideration the schedules of Coordinators and Tutors, as well as the exam schedules of all other students.
In order to have a smooth set of Exam-AID sessions it is necessary to plan in advance. First off, it is important to get acquainted with portal as there is plenty of useful information available to you there! See under Support Structures for useful links.
Send a little blurb about yourself to the President, other VP’s, and your exec team, they should be doing the same. This introduces everyone before school starts.
Organize a Team Meeting for the first week back to school.