The Human Resources team is instrumental in planning socials for their SOS chapter. After all, HR is responsible for making sure that volunteers have a chance to meet new people within the organize and spend time together. Here are some important considerations for ensuring a fantastic event or social!
1. Ask the important questions when planning an event, social, or meeting:
- What is the event? (description etc.)
- When will it happen? (date and time)
- Where will it happen?
- Who should I contact to facilitate this event?
- What resources will I need? (Supplies, etc.)
- Who you will need to work close with (event coordinators, marketing team, etc.)
- When should I start planning and organizing for the event?
2. Some Tips for Success:
- When planning a large event, BE ORGANIZED
- Use a template like this when planning events – Event Planning Organization Template
- If an event is fairly uncomplicated to plan, such as a team lunch, it may be beneficial to delegate its planning to a single individual on your Human Resources team. This empowers team members, by giving them responsibility, and likely makes the event planning more smooth.
- Make your monthly chapter meetings fun! People will look forward to attending if food is involved.
- Don’t forget about your tutors! It is important that they too feel a part of the organization and are appreciated for the hard work they do. Consider a small social organized by your Internal Relations team for your chapter tutors once per term.
- An average of two to three events per semester usually takes place:
- Beginning of Term Social/Orientation – to introduce new members to the team, set new goals, setting the mood for the semester, and refreshing the constitution of the organization.
- Get togethers and socials throughout the term – that help maintain team spirit.
- Mandatory End of Term/Year End Social – taking place within the last week of the semester, before final exam time begins.
3. Things to avoid:
- Stay away from sending mass emails – instead, send your updates once a week through the Weekly Digests (sent to volunteers every Monday morning). Make sure VPs within your chapter are using the volunteer portal to post updates on the newsfeed so these posts can be included in the digests.
If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Go to the HR Toolkit – TABLE OF CONTENTS